Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Fingersmith My rating:

A pearl – an absolute pearl!

In mid-19th century London, begins an atmospheric story of theft, love, and lack of honesty - or, perhaps, as you’ll discover if you read the book, at times too much of it. Susan Trinder gets involved in a deceptive thieving scheme with a villain of her knowing. But it goes further than she has intended, and she gets tangled in a web of secrets, and rides a twisting, ever-surprising rollercoaster of emotions. If London crooks can be cruel, so can country gentlemen.

This is my first Sarah Waters (I know, I know...!), and it was perfectly paced, my curiosity and eagerness maintained throughout and apexing towards the end of the book (and keeping me up all hours)! It had all the right ingredients for me - the wicked underworld of 19th-century London, its dark streets and devious deeds; the Victorian country houses; the worlds of ladies and lowly villains entwined. Not to mention, love.

It is beautifully written, with a deep and clever plot, and intricate seemingly double-faced characterisation. The lesbian undercurrent remains unabashed, evocative, yet never crude nor obscene. The narrative is notable, recounting events from one perspective, then another, bringing the pieces of the puzzle together gradually. It works as a keen reminder of both the weakness and power of silence, and how unreliable our reading of others can be when sentiment is involved.

This was gripping and will linger for a while. I shall be reading other books by Sarah Waters.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sue's Big Book Summer Challenge - kick off post

Big Book Summer Reading Challenge 2020

Becoming by Michelle Obama