Becoming by Michelle Obama

Becoming
My rating:

This book was a chance to get to know Michelle Obama, graciously voicing her opinions in this memoir from birth up until the end of her second term as First Lady.

This book is insightful on so many levels it’s difficult to describe. It is a timeline deftly peppered with sometimes amusing, sometimes heart-breaking stories.

It’s about « Miche » and all she has come to represent: an African American woman, a successful student from a working-class background, a feminist who believes in the young and understands that Hope is the key to continuous progress – that you just have to trudge through the downs to enjoy the ups.

Written with heart, authenticity, feeling, and tons of open-mindedness, Becoming shed light on the Obama’s up until the moment they handed over the White House to the Trump administration.

If anything this book comforted me in my respect and awe of the Obama’s who not only served America during their terms, but the whole world. We need more of these kind, and tolerant people ruling this world.



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more! Everything you said was just right. I loved listening to the audio - it felt like Michelle and I were friends and she was telling me her story :) She's such a warm, kind, authentic woman. Glad you enjoyed it, too!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue - I know you'd said about the audio - I must say I like to feel of paper and turning page although listening to Michelle Obama must be quite something. I'll give it some thought as it was good!

      Elinor

      Delete
  2. After reading/listening to Becoming, I got the sense that she and President Obama are both extremely grounded in their values and ideals. Makes me hopeful that this country elected them - twice - and that we can get back to an honorable administration again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree! Sorry I missed your comment by the way, and glad I stumbled upon it now - better late than never. You're right about being hopeful about such an historical presidency - and twice! We are all clinging to some desperate hope about this year's election results although, to be fair, Barack Obama, Michelle Obama - their whole family - shine warmth and care like very few can.

      Elinor

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sue's Big Book Summer Challenge - kick off post

Big Book Summer Reading Challenge 2020