The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

The Vanishing Half
My rating: ★★★★☆

When I started this, my immediate thought was 'another good book about race!'.

BUT the scope of the book shifted early on to differences and minorities in general, and the theme of "passing as something that you are not" was brought in. These were clever moves by Brit Bennett, because the book stands out and covers the broader theme of identity (racial, sexual, ...).

I liked the timelines, and the different perspectives - twin sisters, one living as a coloured person, the other passing as white and living a life of privilege and secrecy, and the effects on their offspring.

This made for an interesting, worthwile read.

View all my reviews

I read this book as part of the UNO-2021 Challenge on GoodReads (team Mystic Pizza).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sue's Big Book Summer Challenge - kick off post

Big Book Summer Reading Challenge 2020

Becoming by Michelle Obama