Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
My rating: ★★★☆☆

First and foremost this was a truly unexpected plot mixing fantasy, history, geography, and fiction.

I'm not sure whether it's me or the writing but I did get distracted whilst reading the first half in particular and, at the same time, I felt drawn to the historical and geographical parts of the book - the author must have done a lot of fact-checking to get all of this to fit together properly.

Overall this made for a good read even if some of the plot was a little difficult to understand on a human level (most notably PC Grant's apparent numbness to his friend's plight in the last two chapters). I did think the personification of the rivers was clever and managed to get the hang of this slightly different world after a bit. I shall be giving the second instalment a go.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I am a hard core fan of this series, but it is probably because I have listened to them. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's narrations is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sue's Big Book Summer Challenge - kick off post

Big Book Summer Reading Challenge 2020

Becoming by Michelle Obama