Sue's Big Book Summer Challenge - kick off post

Well, I've been MIA here for a while and have recently caught up on posting my latest reviews.

Time does fly and it's already that time of year again - Sue from https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/ is hosting her #BigBookSummer challenge again this year and I can't wait to get started.  Check out the link below if you would like to join too - it's a really laid-back challenge so don't sweat it!

 


But before I do, here are the books on my shelf that qualify for this year's challenge - 19 altogether (and that's my shortlist!).  There is no way I can read all of those this year, so I'd love thoughts to help me choose!

Here are the books I'm considering for this year's challenge.






The English and their History by Robert Tombs

At a whopping 1012 pages this history book definitely qualifies for the challenge. 

It's been on my shelf for a while - I guess I am daunted by its page count and the fact it's non-fiction.  This one is in my grey zone at the moment, though I take it it makes for an excellent read, and it would certainly do me good to get back in touch with history.



The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

This book has been on my shelf since Christmas - I'd hoped to read it during my UNO-challenge (February through April) but it clocks in at 992 pages, so it would have meant a longer read, and less time to read other books. 

I'm really tempted by this one - I usually enjoy historical fiction.  Also, the first two volumes of Ken Follett's Century Trilogy were brilliant, and The Pillars of the Earth has been recommended to me several times since I started writing this post, so this is definitely a major contender for this year's challenge.

Check out my reviews for:
- Winter of the World (#2 in the Century Trilogy)
- and Edge of Eternity (#3 in the Century Trilogy) 

A Promised Land by Barack Obama

This is another hefty volume: 751 pages.  I'm not a great fan of biographies, though I did enjoy Michelle Obama's Becoming last year.  This was part of my #BigBookSummer 2020 and I think I finished it in the nick of time!

So food for thought with this one... it would be very interesting to know how  Barack Obama went through this incredible moment in history.



American Gods by Neil Gaiman

This is the original unabridged 722-page version of Neil Gaiman's world-renowned American Gods.  I really can't wait to read this - like all the one's mentioned so far, I expect that the best time to read this will be when I'm off work so I can really get my teeth into it.  

I read the preface some months back, and gave the first chapter a peek - all I can say is that it looks like it will be excellent!



The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

We're still just in the 700+ page zone with this well-loved book by John Boyne.  I've heard and read lots of stunning reviews about this book and it's been recommended to me several times, so I'm looking forward to reading this.

It's not been on my shelf for long enough for me to feel any sense of urgency though.



Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

This 656-page book seems less daunting than some of the previous ones.  I've heard this book compared with Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari countless times, and do really want to know how this articulates, given it was published almost fifteen years before Sapiens.  I also wonder whether Jared Diamond has changed the contents of his original 1997 edition in recent years.

This is non-fiction history so not my strong suit.  Nevertheless, my curiosity is piqued, and I've read lots of good reviews about this book.  So also a strong contender this year.


Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Ha, this is another good book I've heard - though perhaps slightly confusing given the number of Thomas's alive at the time and in the story.  So, I'll need my wits about me to read this.  

It should definitely make for an interesting read.  It's historical fiction, so should be right up my alley.  I think I'm holding back because I know it's a trilogy and a big one!



The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

I came across this by pure luck (well, I hope it was luck).  I just can't wait - it's the first volume in "The Cemetery of Forgotten Books" series, and it starts with a boy picking a book in a labyrinthine library in Barcelona.  I mean I'd probably freely elect to spend a holiday in that library if I could, although I might change my mind once I've read the book.  

So this is definitely one of the stronger contenders this year, and it clocks in at 544 pages, which is more manageable than the other books mentioned so far.


Lie Down with Lions by Ken Follett

This book was already one of my #BigBookSummer contenders last year.  It's 512 pages long, and I'm afraid this may be a let-down after the other books by Ken Follett I've already read.

So, I guess it's not such a strong contender for this year's challenge especially as I'll likely be reading The Pillars of the Earth.




The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

I've read a couple of Sarah Waters' 19-th century historical fictions - so this would be a little different as it takes places around World War II.  My experience of Sarah Waters so far is she writes really intriguing novels, with layered characters, and tight plots, but I've not read any of her 1940s books so far.

Check out my reviews of:
- Tipping the Velvet - this was actually one of last year's contenders for the #BigBookSummer challenge, and I ended up reading it quite recently.


Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

This is 481 pages long, and, lack of time set aside, it's beyond me why I haven't read this yet.  The blurb sounds full of potential so I'd better get cracking with this one, especially as I have a second Jojo Moyes on my shelf which I've not read yet either!




Live Bait by PJ Tracy

I've had this 480-page book for years - this would actually be a re-read.  I just love PJ Tracy's and that's it really!





The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinback

This 479-page classic is - well - a classic!  I have some unfortunately vague recollections of history classes about that time, and realise I lack the American perspective - so, pretty sure this historical novel could set my thoughts straight.  I put this on my wishlist after reading a dazzling review and really want to give it a shot. 






The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

As soon as I read the blurb and the first reviews started pouring in, I knew I must read this some day - this is the second Jojo Moyes on my shelf - I think I will try to read them in published order. That's a tough call though because this is inspired by a true story!  Amazing.  Can't wait to read this.








The Hate U Give (437p), Scythe (435p), The Testaments (422p), The Whistler (416p) and What Milo Saw (400p)

For the sake of brevity, I've grouped these as I'll be saying much the same for each:  I'd love to be able to read all of these books this year - as they have all received critical acclaim and are obviously well-loved.  Some touch on more serious issues, others are more fantastical or dystopic, and I really just don't know where to start with these, whilst looking forward to all of them.



As I said at the beginning, thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome, to help get my brain into gear about which order to read them in.  As soon as I finish Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo, I shall be starting this year's Big Book Summer with The Pillars of the Earth.  

Happy reading everyone. 

Comments

  1. These look like some great picks for the challenge! I just signed up yesterday, so I wanted to see what other people were planning to read. Since I usually read MG and YA books, the only one you mention that I'm familiar with is The Hate U Give, which is absolutely fantastic and definitely worth reading! I also have a friend who is a big fan of The Shadow of the Wind. Good luck with the challenge, and thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have an interesting list yourself - though ashamed to admit I’ve not read any of them. Looking forward to your thoughts. Definitely keeping THUG and The Shadow of the Wind in mind - thank you for recommending. Enjoy the challenge!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Elinor! So glad to have you participating again.

    Wow!! What a fabulous stack of books you pulled off your shelves! So many great ones!

    My picks are Pillars of the Earth (the first book that inspired me to have my own Summer of the Big Book 10 years ago) - wonderful.

    The Shadow of the Wind is also great, and most book lovers love it :) I was sort of meh the first time I read it, even though all my friends loved it, but then I read it again for a book group and loved it! I guess you need to encounter the right books at the right time.

    The Hate U Give is outstanding, and will be a quick-read Big Book (I really loved it on audio) - I laughed, I cried, it's fabulous.

    I haven't read them yet but have heard great things about Scythe (I LOVE Neal Schusterman's novels - he's brilliant and writes amazing page-turners) and about American Gods - both are on my TBR list.

    But my Must-Read from your list is The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. I just read it this year, and it was a 10 rating for me (we rate 1 to 10 in book group) and quickly took a place in my Top 10 of All Time mental list! I absolutely loved it - I cried twice but laughed out loud throughout. It's clever, warm, funny, moving, and powerful. Here's my review with a couple of the funny quotes: https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2021/03/fiction-review-hearts-invisible-furies.html

    No matter what you choose, you will have an awesome Big Book Summer - enjoy!

    Sue

    2021 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue for your recommendations. So, my originally long shortlist is getting shorter:
      - Pillars of the Earth
      - THUG
      - The Shadow of the Wind
      - The Heart’s Invisible Furies
      And then the Moyes’ and Wolf Hall.

      I love the quotes you picked from the John Boyne - *laughs*. It’s opened it right up for me - great humour!

      Have a great big book summer too, looking forward to your thoughts and seeing what we everyone else is reading.

      Delete
  3. I echo Sue's thoughts about The Heart's Invisible Furies. So good and one that I recommend often. The Hate U Give is also a good choice -- I listened to that on audio.

    A Promised Land is a bit tough to get through, sad to say. Very dense and incredibly detailed. I listened to most of it on audio, which made it easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa and thanks for the heads-up on a Promised Land. I know to read this when I have lots of time on my hands. The John Boyne is moving up the list priority-wise, and so is THUG!

      Enjoy the challenge too, can’t wait to find out what everyone will be reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Book Summer Reading Challenge 2020

Becoming by Michelle Obama